Moving to Germany from the UK can be extremely nerve wracking, but it’s also hugely exciting. If you’ve decided to make the move, then you’ll have a lot of planning to do. Spending time preparing yourself before you make your move will help everything run as smoothly as possible.
• Let as many people as possible know that you are relocating to Germany. Friends and family will be happy to do anything they can to help you with your move, and one of them may even know someone in the area you’re moving too who can help you settle in.
• Arrange your removals to Germany as soon as you possibly can. This will help you to plan how much you can take and what you may not be able to. By planning in advance, you will have the time to cope with any problems that may arise.
• Do as much research as you can about your new home. Aim to find out what you will need to do before you move to Germany, and what will need to be done after you arrive.
• Learn as much German as you can before you move. Even if you’re unable to learn much, try to memorise some key words and phrases that will aid you in your move.
• Keep a permanent address and bank account in the UK. This will make things much easier for you when you come for visits, or if you decide to move back.