Is it Permitted?

We all know Switzerland from films and stories. A land of snow capped mountains, picturesque wooden chalets, alpine horns and cowbells. Some may have holidayed there in the winter and enjoyed the skiing or perhaps gone in the summer and travelled on the world famous narrow gauge railways. Although it is known as a European playground how many have ever considered moving to Switzerland?

The answer is probably not many. Although it grants citizens from the EU some special privileges, automatic residential rights are not one of them. In fact, unless you are an independently wealthy person, it is not easy for anyone considering moving to Switzerland.

To live in Switzerland it is necessary to hold a residency permit.

The basic is a B permit. This is an annual residency permit which has to be renewed every year and has restrictions as to what you can do such as owning property or working.

If you are an EU citizen, then you can obtain a CE permit which is similar to a B permit but allows you more freedom such as being able to buy property and be self employed.

After living in Switzerland for 5 – 10 years it is possible to apply for a C permit. This is a full residency permit.

If you are financially independent with an income in excess of £38,000 and wish to be there for more than 180 days a year, then obtaining the necessary permits should not be a problem.

Those moving to Switzerland are not only able to enjoy the picture postcard scenery but also beneficial tax laws and one of the highest standards of living in Europe.

We at European Removal Experts may not be able to assist you in obtaining a resident’s permit but we can ensure that your move will run like a Swiss watch.